Wednesday, December 9, 2009

day 7, 8, 9 ,10, 11 - reggio conference recap

we hurriedly got dressed and consumed another yummy, did I mention free?, breakfast and then raced over to the first day of class. We had 15 minutes to get there, but being it was our first day of actually walking across all the piazzas, we didn't know the shortest, quickest way. So Nat with her stilettos and little rolly suitcase and me with my comfy boots ran over the cobblestone roads, turning here and there, we finally made it. As our breakfast slowly settled from all that running, we easily found signs indicating where two late students should be. We should have known better that when Italians say to meet at 9:00am, it actually means at least 9:15am so all that running was so unnecessary, but hey, it's better than being late. That was almost the same routine every morning for a week, but without much running (since we met at the Malaguzzi centre which is much closer than the first meeting place), and we lost the stilettos after that fine first day...so proud of Nat for coming to her comfort senses... :)




We had a welcome from Amelie Gambetti, a big league in the Reggio cult, I mean, the Friends of Reggio Children International Association. But i think I would still refer to it as a cult, not only because it fits but also because it's a shorter name. She was pretty entertaining with her personal stories but nothing she said was really important, not even during the rest of the seminar. There was a pretty long introduction and one presentation the first day of school. We even got a pitch on buying CD's of English Christmas songs for 10 euro and a tile for 300 euro...okay, i can kind of understand the CD as Christmas is fast approaching and i do speak and understand English but a tile? A friggin' tile? What the heck would i do with it? And for 300 euro? Whoa, that did not sit well with me since now it's the end of the conference and I'm still talking about it. I think I've brought up that stupid 300 euro tile each and every day the conference was going on. So, do they think the tuition of this course wasn't high enough and to top things off, I should waste more money on a stinky tile? Oh, and did I also mention that they were going to generously offer us a catalog for 30 euro, with a 10% discount? Throughout the week, we were also able to purchase things that the children made. However, I did put my 150 euro credit at the bookstore (one of our "We're sorry to have cancelled the trip last May so last minute present...") to very good use. That was quite a generous gift, i must admit...



Another part of the "I'm sorry" package was a week long free buffet lunch. We were bussed there like prisoners and then dropped off to pick up a plastic plate with forks and spoons attached to the plate! But hey, it was free and remember, we are big fans of free! After the initial shock of the lack of ambiance, I came to really appreciate this perk. We were consuming free breakfasts (at the hotel), free lunches and only needed to fend for ourselves at dinner time. I'm happy to say that those slim fast bars were never taken out to replace a delicious hot cooked meal...it's a great idea for saving money, but I really didn't want to be eating a meal out of a wrapper when there was so much melted cheese and other fattening goodies surrounding me with love. And i need all the blubber i can get, it was getting pretty chilly outside...



The conference all in all was good. By the end of the week, as tired as I was, I did come to appreciate the fact that I was able to travel so far to see so many wonderful things; a philosophy that has been around for quite awhile. I was a little disappointed during the first few schools we visited - that there wasn't more I felt I could bring home, but reflecting back, that just means we are doing something that I am so incredibly proud of. The schools did have lots to offer and after digesting all the information, and getting over the initial fact that we got screwed over the last time we tried to come, I am thankful and grateful that I came and did, at the end, find the conference to be beneficial and a great life/learning experience.



Other memories during this trip that's worth a mention would be: free teas and cappuccinos from the hotel, the boys from our hotel team (they were so nice!), Ray of Light (a workshop that was pretty cool with a whole bunch of lights and water projects but not worth 60 euros so I decided not to pay for it...) the vegetable buffet at the hotel, the buses that transported us around, the Christmas market, the Loris Malaguzzi International School and their new school, the forbidden pictures that someone took (kaw-kaw) and passed along to us, the poncho things that go over jackets, friends that we've met from around the world, and last but not least, I did get the Reggio experience that will last a life time.



BTW, Angela looks like she's in her forties and could have potentially wavy hair if it wasn't blown straight and she only wears glasses to read...not too far off!



So now, on to Milan for an overnight stop and then its London baby - where James will be waiting for us...I cannot wait to see his big head! I miss him so much! I haven't been able to Skype him to see his smile...

No comments:

Post a Comment